Saturday, September 15, 2012

Save the Produce!

This week we got a Bountiful Basket and as always, it was filled with delicious treats.  My only problem with our baskets are that there is so much food that it often spoils before we can eat it all.  So I had a plan this week, store it properly.  I know, I know, "Duh Abby" but a lot of these items I've never eaten or I've never really thought to store them a different way.

So today I share with you a few secrets to storing ordinary day-to-day produce.

Onions and potatoes
Store in a cool dry place that is well ventilated.  I took paper bags and chopped off the handles and put them in the cupboard.  Putting them in the paper bags allow for ventilation and they don't roll all over the place.  The bags are also sturdy enough that I can move them around a lot without them ripping.

Garlic
Garlic is best stored in a cool, dry place.  When I buy garlic I store it in an airtight container or a plastic bag in a dark environment like the pantry.  Do not put it in the crisper drawer in the refrigerator.

Zucchini
Some people say store in the crisper, but mine tend to go soft really fast.  I have found that they last much longer cool, dry place like my kitchen counter.

No comments:

Post a Comment

I'd LOVE LOVE LOVE to hear from you!